18th century: Angelo Migone & Co.
1778: In Milan the Casa di Profumo, Saponi e articoli per toletta Migone & C. was founded, one of the longest surviving Italian companies of national and international fame.
It closed its activities during the 1950s.
One of the most ancient Italian Fragrance Houses was the Milanese Migone & C., founded by Angelo Migone in 1778, eleven years before in France, in 1789, the Parisians assaulted the Bastiglia.
Migone, with alternating fortune, up until the 1950s produced perfumes (among which Margherita, Amor, Excelsior, Bacio d’Amore, Falstaff), hair dyes, lotions, extracts, powders, soaps and creams, also exporting its own products – in accordance with the continually changing political scene - in the whole of the Mediterranean basin. Migone has been for decades firm leader in the supply of articles for beards and hair, scissors, combs, brushes, razors, and brushes to barber shops in the whole peninsula: a compnay which offered a complete service therefore become a point of reference for various generations of private consumers and small firms.
Perhaps it was because of this that Migone remained on the market for almost two hundred years, witness of Milanese history from the Austrian and Napoleonic domination to the Risorgimento, to the unity of Italy and so on to the Second world war, "living" footstep by footstep the expansion and the modernization of the city, transferring and widening its own stores in places which were more appropriate for the organisation of the business: from the outskirts in Milan - one of the first locations of the store was along the Spanish wall - until offices in Via Torino and therefore in the street of the Jewellers, close to the Cathedral, where the representative office was transferred. Meanwhile, towards the 1850s, it began the construction of a soap and perfume factory among the new industrial installations outside the walls of Porta Venezia, along the ancient Road for Bergamo (subsequently Corso Buenos Aires) and in 1928 again the factory-warehouse moved to Via Ripamonti, in a new more capacious and appropriate building for the expansion of the company.
The "sin" of the Migone Fragrance House was that to remain anchored to old productions and ancient schemes. It didn't adapt to the sudden changes of taste of the coming generation out of the Second world war, it didn't know how "to modernize itself" with the quickness that the times required and it was the first illustrious victim of hardened, and above all unprejudiced competition, typical of the post-war period.
The Migone Fragrance House, now forgotten by most, ceased activities at the beginning of the 1950s.